November 6th, 2021
LTC Providers May Request COVID-19 Emergency Support
For Emergency Staffing Support:
The Office of the Governor directed DSHS to use staffing agencies to provide medical personnel from out-of-state to Texas health care facilities to assist in COVID-19 operations.
This support will be available to residential long-term care providers.
-Providers must demonstrate that they have exhausted all other options.
-Also that they have urgent need for assistance before requesting emergency staffing support.
The State is asking that jurisdictions and health care entities be judicious with requests for staffing, as the State will not be able to address all staffing needs, especially as the need for emergency staffing ramps up across the state.
LTC providers are always required to provide services to residents or clients before, during and after an emergency.
The emergency plan must include:
- Planning for staff shortages
- A back-up plan to ensure operations and care of residents continues
For COVID-19 Vaccination, Testing Kits, PPE, Disinfection, and HAI/EPI Support:
Long-term care providers can request:
- COVID-19 mobile vaccine clinics for residents and staff
- BinaxNow testing kits. Read PL 2020-49 for details.
- PPE (providers should exhaust all other options before request)
- Facility cleaning and disinfection
- Healthcare-associated infection and epidemiological support
To Request Support:
To initiate a request for COVID-19 support described above, contact the HHSC LTCR Regional Director in the region where the facility is located.
HHSC LTCR staff are responsible for initiating a State of Texas Assistance Request on behalf of the long-term care provider.
HHSC LTCR staff may request supporting documentation to verify need.