May 2nd, 2023
Infection Control Resources from HHSC
- Infection Prevention and Control Measures for Common Infections in LTC Facilities (PDF)
- Infection Control Basics & PPE Training for Essential Caregivers (PDF)
- Helping Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities and Related Conditions Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 (PDF)
- Long-term Care COVID-19 Vaccination Options (PDF)
Resources Created by HHSC
- Evidence-Based Best Practices: Infection Control is a guide for developing a facility-wide system for infection prevention and control.
- Quality Monitoring Program Immunizations web page includes information for developing a system for immunizations, as well as the current CDC guidelines for common vaccine-preventable diseases.
Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Infection Prevention and Control Assessment Tool for Long-term Care Facilities (ICAR) can be used by nursing facilities to evaluate their Infection Prevention and Control programs and practices.
- Interim Infection Prevention and Control Recommendations for Healthcare Personnel During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19 Pandemic) provides strategies for preventing the spread of COVID-19, as well as the latest testing and treatment recommendations.
- Nursing Homes and Assisted Living (Long-term Care Facilities) is a website for clinical professionals, residents and their families. Resources include a number of fact sheets, guidelines and toolkits that address infection control and prevention.
- Core Elements of Antibiotic Stewardship for Nursing Homes provides nursing facilities with resources for developing an effective antibiotic stewardship program.
- Influenza (Flu) is a comprehensive resource for influenza-related information.
- Hand Hygiene in Healthcare Settings provides healthcare workers and their patients with helpful information, including hand hygiene guidelines, self-assessment tools and other educational resources.
- Carbapenem-Resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE) Control and Prevention Toolkit will help facilities develop interventions to prevent infections caused by CRE.
Statewide Program for Infection Control & Epidemiology (SPICE)
- Competency for Proficient Infection Preventionists can be used to document the ongoing competency of the facility’s Infection Prevention and Control coordinator/Infection Preventionist.
- Environmental Rounds Worksheet can be used to monitor environmental cleaning and infection prevention practices throughout the facility.
- Hand Hygiene Audit Tool can be used by the Infection Preventionist to monitor compliance with the facility’s hand hygiene policies and procedures.
- Hand Hygiene Competency Validation Tool can be used by the Infection Preventionist to document individual employee’s competency with hand hygiene protocols.
World Health Organization
- WHO Guidelines on Hand Hygiene in Health Care 2009 provides health care workers with evidence-based recommendations for hand hygiene in healthcare settings.
- Five Moments for Hand Hygiene is a graphic representation of the WHO Guidelines for Hand Hygiene in Health Care.
Agency For Healthcare Research & Quality
National Association of County & City Health Officials (NACCHO)
Infection Prevention and Control Resource Library (Provides Best Practices, Tools, Teaching Materials, and specific information just for COVID-19)